We are proud to announce that we achieved certification for FSC and PEFC status in 2008 which enables us to offer chain of custody for forested timber from well managed forests.
The Forest Stewardship Council enables you to buy forest products of all kinds with confidence that you are not contributing to global forest destruction. FSC certified forests are managed to ensure long term timber supplies while protecting the environment and the lives of forest-dependent peoples. A system of Chain of Custody certification traces forest products through the supply chain to the end-consumer. Whenever you buy timber or timber products always look for the FSC logo. Everyone uses forest products in their business or daily life, FSC offers an environmentally sound solution.
FSC is an international, non-governmental organisation dedicated to promoting responsible management of the world’s forests. It was founded in 1993 in response to public concern about deforestation and demand for a trustworthy wood-labelling scheme. There are national working groups in 28 countries including the UK. FSC UK is a registered charity. It is supported by NGOs including WWF, Greenpeace, Friends of the Earth and the Woodland Trust.
- You can buy wood products, from all types of forest, with a clear conscience when you see the FSC logo. FSC labelled products are made with consideration for people, wildlife and the environment.
- The FSC label guarantees that the trees that are harvested are replaced or allowed to regenerate naturally.
Parts of the forest are protected entirely, in order to protect rare animals and plants.
- FSC protects the rights of indigenous people to use the forest. If they have sacred sites in the forest these are exempt from felling.
- The forest owner must use local workers to run the forest, and provide training, safety equipment and a decent salary.
- The forest owner is often obliged to support the community in other ways, such as through the development of schools.
- FSC is a market-based initiative which also ensures better conditions for the forest and the people whose livelihoods depend on it.
- FSC gives an assurance that future generations will be able to enjoy the benefits of the forest.
- All the wood is tracked from the forest to the store. Every link between the forest and the consumer is certified to make it clearly identifiable which wood is FSC certified and which is not.
- FSC is the only wood certification scheme endorsed by the major environmental charities, including WWF, Friends of the Earth, Greenpeace and The Woodland Trust.
- The FSC label is not only available on wood for furniture. It can also be found on floors, decking, paper, printed matter, charcoal, kitchen utensils, even venison and footballs!
The PEFC Council (Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification schemes) is an independent, non-profit, non-governmental organisation, founded in 1999 which promotes sustainably managed forests through independent third party certification. The PEFC provides an assurance mechanism to purchasers of wood and paper products that they are promoting the sustainable management of forests.
PEFC is a global umbrella organisation for the assessment of and mutual recognition of national forest certification schemes developed in a multi-stakeholder process. These national schemes build upon the inter-governmental processes for the promotion of sustainable forest management, a series of on-going mechanisms supported by 149 governments in the world covering 85% of the world’s forest area.
PEFC has in its membership 35 independent national forest certification systems of which 25 to date have been through a rigorous assessment process involving public consultation and the use of independent assessors to provide the assessments on which mutual recognition decisions are taken by the membership. These 25 systems account for more than 200 million hectares of certified forests producing millions of tonnes of certified timber to the market place making PEFC the world’s largest certification system. The other national members schemes are at various stages of development and are working towards mutual recognition under the PEFC processes
- A world in which people manage forests sustainably.
- To give society confidence that people manage forests sustainably.
- Through the endorsement of national certification systems, PEFC motivates and enables people to sustainably manage their forests and works to provide a market for the products of those forests.
PEFC Core Values and Beliefs
- Respect for all forest ownership structures, and the social, cultural, environmental and economic values they provide.
- Respect for the social, infrastructures of forest based communities.
- Belief in co-operation, openness and transparency.
- Respect for the tenets of federalism.
- Belief in free and fair market systems.
- Belief in multi-stakeholder participation.
- Commitment to excellence and continuous improvement.
- Build alliances around common causes.
- Recognise the importance of economic, social and environmental realities.
- Respect intergovernmental and other international processes.
- Respect relationships within the PEFC community.
- Act with honesty and integrity.